A lot of people are interested in knowing if CBD can boost the immune system. Existing research shows that cannabidiol plays a vital role in managing autoimmune sicknesses and diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Rheumatoid, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, and multiple sclerosis. These autoimmune sicknesses occur when our immune system overreacts to a non-threatening internal event which leads to an attack on the healthy cell in our bodies.
It has been proven that CBD can interfere with the release of proteins known as cytokines which are the proteins responsible for acute and chronic inflammation. Apart from the effect listed above, CBD acts as an immune modulator that restores an over or under-reacting immune system back to normal. There are many more effects of CBD on the body; however, we want to take an in-depth look at the impact of CBD on the immune system for those looking to boost their immune system in periods like this.
Impact of CBD on the Immune system
CBD is known to have anti-inflammatory effects on the central nervous system, which amplifies its healing effects. According to research, CBD interferes with the production of cytokines released from the immune system when the body undergoes trauma or stress, and can also mitigate the effects of autoimmune conditions.
The use of CBD has been proven to bolster a weakened immune system, allowing the body to fight off serious infections. According to a survey of the impact of CBD on cancer patients with a weak immune system, the result showed that patients got better and their body began to fight against the infection. Other studies have successfully shown that CBD can successfully reduce tumor growth, aiding patients in the fight against cancer
To further sweeten the deal, studies show that high doses of CBD can kill cancer cells in a process called apoptosis. In a healthy immune system, this process occurs when infectious cells are found in our bodies, and it is noteworthy because cancer cells are known for their ability to avoid apoptosis while proliferating throughout the body. Although full details of how cannabinoids cause this reaction is yet to be found, current research is promising on the use of CBD to manage cancer.
Data from a review published in Cannabis and Cannabinoid research[i], shows that CBD is immunosuppressive meaning CBD’s potential to be an immune suppressor may have positive sides, especially when the immune system is weak. The review also indicates that CBD aids suppression of the activation of different resistant cell types promotes the creation of regulatory cells, and induces of apoptosis.
CBD in the form of cannabis is known to be immune-modulating meaning it can bring an over or under-reacting immune system back to normal. However, more research and studies need to be carried out to comprehend the difference between CBD’s immune-boosting and immune-modulating characteristics.
How CBD Strengthens the immune system
To understand the impact of CBD on the immune system, we need to know how CBD works to boost our immune system. CBD directly impacts the Endocannabinoid system of the body. The ECS, an essential part of our body system, is responsible for controlling a number of our body functions such as immune response, sleep, pain sensation, anxiety, mood, appetite, memory, and metabolism. A perfect example is anandamide’s interaction with our cannabinoid receptors. When anandamide, an intestinal cannabinoid, interacts with our cannabinoid receptors, it regulates our response to stress and our appetite.
Also located in our bodies are the CB1 and CB2 receptors which play a specific role in the ECS. The CB1 receptors are found in our brains and central nervous system as they play a fundamental role in motor regulation, heightening our appetite, memory processing, pain sensation, mood, and sleep. Researchers have linked the activation of CB1 to neuroprotective responses which actively suggests that CBD - which has a high affinity for CB1 receptors - can help in treating and preventing neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer, Parkinson and multiple sclerosis.
CB2 receptors, meanwhile, are situated within the cells in our immune system and its associated structure. When the CB2 receptor interacts with CBD, it triggers a response that reduces inflammation, minimizes damage to tissues and reduces pain. This anti-inflammatory response has been useful in treating inflammation-related conditions such as Crohn’s disease, inflammatory bowel syndrome, arthritis and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIPD).
Pros and cons of using CBD infused products for the immune system
- From previous conversations, CBD has demonstrated the potential to mitigate the effects of autoimmune disorders or its symptoms by mollifying a hyperactive immune system and improving a weakened one.
- CBD has been well received by several world health agencies and is generally tolerated with an excellent safety profile. Lot of medical expert rate CBD to be safer than most prescription and over the counter drugs which come with many side effects.
- CBD infused products are non-addictive according to a 2015 article on the characteristics that make CBD safe for intake by Nora Volkow, director of the national institute on Drug abuse (NIDA)
- There is not enough research and study to determine if CBD is effective in treating conditions other than the ones approved by the US Food and Drug Administration.
- There are certain risks involved in using CBD just as they are with the use of any natural chemical compound. Example of some of these risks includes dry mouth, diarrhea, drowsiness, fatigue, and reduces appetite.
- CBD has been proven to interact with other drugs and changes how our body metabolizes certain medications. You need to seek the prescription of doctors with experience in the use of cannabis before taking any CBD infused medication or mixing it with your current medical prescriptions.
- Most of the CBD infused products sold online are unregulated according to Dr. Doris Trauner, Lack of proper regulation makes it hard to determine if these CBD infused products contain exactly what their labels say they provide.
How to choose the right CBD product to boost your immune system
CBD is not the only chemical compound found in cannabis that can be used to treat diseases and sicknesses. This is why it’s vital to choose a CBD product that contains all the spectrum of phytonutrients from the hemp such as THC, flavonoids, terpenes, and essential oils.
Anyone who is allergic to the use of THC may find solace in the use of other chemical compounds from cannabis such as the broad-spectrum CBD oil which is like the CBD but without any THC.
Whatever form of CBD product the user chooses, they must take careful consideration in selecting the best that comes to their relief immediately and help promote a healthy and functioning immune system.
When you want to purchase a CBD product be careful to consider these factors to ensure the safety and reliability of the product;
- Research on the legal stipulations of purchasing CBD products in the area it would be used and bought.
- Buy only high-quality CBD products from reliable and legitimate sources.
- Research product reviews and ratings before making that purchase online. When buying the product from a dispensary or physical store, ensure the store is authorized by the government to sell such products.
- Always be on the lookout for certification codes. These certification codes are given to these products after they have gone through the right authorities and have been approved.
- Look out for third party reviews and compare them with that of the company claims in terms of potency and strength. Look for certification of analysis on every product you want to buy.
- Always consult with a professional with experience in the use of CBD before making any purchase
What dose of CBD is right for usage?
CBD dosage is highly dependent on the weight, metabolic processes, and use case scenario of the user. If you haven’t used any CBD product in the past, it is best to start with a low dosage and gradually increase until you can feel the desired effects without any adverse effects.
Importance of a robust immune system in times of pandemic like COVID-19
In times like this when the spread of the COVID-19 virus is rapidly increasing and has caused a world panic, the World Health Organization has been prompted to declare the outbreak a pandemic.
The most susceptible to contracting this virus is the elderly and older adults that have underlying medical conditions such as high blood pressure, lung diseases, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Due to their ill health and underlying medical conditions, they are at greater risk and should be more careful.
If you have a compromised immune system due to treatment or health condition, you are vulnerable to this disease and should also engage in social distancing. Right now, there is no vaccine to curb the spread of this disease, and no specific date has been set to the production of a vaccine. However, any possible vaccine is in the works and being tested through chemical trials.
It is important to bolster our immune systems in time like this. With a robust immune system, our bodies can mount an attack, known as immune responses, causing cells to resist infections and boost our chances of recovery.
Your immune system is your body’s natural defense system against any form of attack. It is made up of a network of cells, organs, and tissues that come together to defend against external attack. Its job is to keep the body protected against any attack while your job is to keep it able to the task.
CBD has been proven to boost the immune system, which is welcome news in times like this. Prevention is always the best cure, but we should always explore opportunities to boost our immune system, which also includes eating right and sleeping well.